The main topic of discussion in the podcast is the proposed bills in the 63rd general session of the Utah State Legislature, including House Bill 34 – Abortion Revisions – heard before a packed house. The Senate panel approved elective abortion ban in a party-line vote.
Sen. Dan McCay’s bill that would prevent abortions in Utah if Roe v. Wade is ever repealed was up in committee Thursday. It was a full house!
McCay said he understands the feeling and sentiment around a women’s right to choose but a baby’s ability to choose is robbed through abortion. He was quoted as saying:
That baby deserves a choice for life as we all do,” he said. “If a woman wanted to still receive an abortion she could go to another state and still receive what she wanted. The agency of one is robbed from the agency of another.
Meanwhile, Lehi votes to be an abortion-free city – a “sanctuary city for the unborn.” Additional topics discussed include:
- Utah Bigamy Law change: Unanimous in the Senate. And the polygamy decriminalization bill just passed the House with only three no votes. Libertas Institute Founder Conner Boyack said about the legislation, “Several years of work and here we are. It’s a great day.” Is it?
- Daylight Saving Bill heads to the Governors Desk: It still needs an act of congress and a few neighboring states to join the effort.
- Good News: Rep. Steve Eliason wore his dinosaur tie for the passage of the “Utahraptor State Park” bill on Thursday.
- Coronavirus: State health department conducts a press conference briefing. Should we all build bunkers or just wash our hands?
- Olympia Hills passes first vote 6-3: Is this responsible growth?
- Super Tuesday just days away: Super Tuesday is the closest thing we have to a National Primary. Salt Lake County voter turnout was 29% one week out from the election with 95,811 ballots returned out of 331,170 mailed out. In-person early voting has been 679 people. There are 3,979 delegates total, 1,357 up for grabs on Tuesday. Who will be left standing? Did you watch the last debate? South Carolina Bernie Sanders makes stop in Utah on Eve of Super Tuesday.